15 July 2014

Why I Love Water Births

The Beauty of Natural Birth

Yesterday's post drew such a large crowd (over 300 page views) I wanted to write more about my birth experiences!

Here are 5 reasons why I have chosen to labor in a birthing tub every single time I deliver.  Many of you have asked what hospital I deliver at (because not all hospitals allow this or provide this service) I go to Monmouth Medical in Long Branch, NJ and my OBGYN for all of my births is Dr. Giovine at A Woman's Place.  Although Dr. G helped to deliver Julia and Mark, Micah's labor was so long that the doctor's changed shifts and I had Dr. Burke at first and then their midwife Lee who was absolutely amazing.  I seriously doubt I would have delivered Micah naturally without her expertise and encouragement.

1. The birthing tub is relaxing.  Call me crazy but I am a woman who loves to sit in a bath tub, a hot tub, or a pool, I find it to be extremely relaxing and cathartic.  I knew I wanted to do a water birth with all of my children when I was a teenager!  I saw a video in high school about birth and the woman giving birth did it naturally in a tub and there was no screaming, no chaos, no fear, it was just her and the water and she was focused and determined to bring her baby into the world naturally.  From that point on I always had it in my mind that that was how I wanted to deliver.  How awesome it must be to enter into the world into a warm bath instead of blaring lights in a hospital bath?  How peaceful the baby's entrance must be from the amniotic fluid in the womb to the water in the tub?  Although I labored in the tub with all three of my babies.  Mark was my only successful water birth.  And to this day he is my mellow, chilled out, peaceful guy.  I wonder if that has any correlation to his birth entrance?

2. The birthing tub eases the purposeful pain of labor contractions.  One thing I look forward to during every birth was that warm tub.  I have a birthing ritual that once I am in the "zone" I labor in every corner of the room and even in the bathroom during contractions and once the contractions get really bad I just want to be in the comfort of that tub.  The water honestly does ease the pain and it is very calming for me to be in there.

3. It gives John a job as my partner during labor to set up the birthing tub.  For every birth John and my doula Roe have worked hard to set up the tub and fill it with just the right temperature of water.  The first tub we used we rented from Aquadoula, although the liner and tubing is used only once obviously.  The last two times we used the one that Roe leaves at the hospital.  I know John needs to be "doing something" when I am not having a contraction and so the first thing he does when we get to the hospital is start to set up the tub.  I think it is his labor of love.  And I love him for it.



4. The birthing tub provides me with my own little world during labor.  I don't know about you ladies but for me I just really need peace and quiet and honestly I could birth my next baby without any staff or doctor.  I finally know exactly what I need and want during delivery with it being my fourth and all.  I like the privacy of the birthing tub.  I have seen couples in the birthing tub but for me that is not what I need at all.  I want my own space.  I want to focus.  I want to work on my breathing and get through the contraction.  And the tub is the best place for all of that.



5.  One thing I hate about birth is having your legs up in the air on a hospital bed.  The beauty of the water birth to me is that you are somewhat covered and have a deeper level of privacy as you are pushing.  I guess I am just shy.  I loved my birth with Mark because after 2 easy pushes in the water, after my water broke, he was floating up right to me.  I know there are tons of birthing positions besides legs up on a hospital bed but that one seems to be the most popular.  I loved the beauty and calmness of having Mark in the water.  It was an experience I will never forget.  I can't even begin to tell you how great I felt after having him.  I literally had him in the tub and about 5 minutes later I was in bed making phone calls to family and friends.  It was AWESOME!





Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave an encouraging comment...I'd love to hear from you!

Related Posts with Thumbnails