For my 2 year old, I actually keep some plain noodles on the side and just sprinkle some cheese on top...that's just what she likes!
It makes 6 servings (we always have this for at least 2 nights of leftovers!!!)
8 ounces of orecchiette pasta (I substituted this time with medium shells b/c I couldn't find it...but they look like bottle caps...they have a great texture)
1 1/4 lbs sweet Italian turkey sausage links, remove the casings
2 medium size yellow squash, cut in half moons
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes (extra kick!)
1 bunch of broccoli rabe, cleaned, trimmed and cut into 1 inch pieces
1/3 cup of low sodium chicken broth (I always seem to need a bit extra)
Grated Parmesan cheese for sprinkling
1. Cook the orecchiette according to package directions. Drain and return pasta to pot to keep warm. (You can use any pasta you have handy, the smaller the better)
2. While the pasta is cooking, heat a large nonstick skillet over med. heat. Crumble sausage into skillet breaking up large pieces. Cook for 10 min., sir occasionally, or until no longer pink.
3. Stir in squash with sausage and increase the heat to med. high. Cook about 3 minutes.
4. Stir in garlic and red pepper flakes; cook another minute or so. Add the broccoli rabe and broth and cover for about 3-4 minutes. Remove cover and stir...cook another 2 minutes or until broccoli rabe has wilted and is tender.
5. Add this sausage, yellow squash, and broccoli rabe mixture to your pasta and stir to combine. Sprinkle with cheese, and Enjoy!!!
Take a peak at my buddy's blog, Suzette, for her recipe at http://godlyrose.blogspot.com