07 August 2014

Discouraging News At The Dentist

The Tiny Cavity

I didn't over prep the kids at all.  I told the kids over the weekend that this week they had their 6 month check up at the dentist.  I am always most concerned with Mark's response (5 years old) because he is the most nervous/cautious when it comes to doctors.  But at our last visit he did great and this time the mention of the dentist was no big deal.

We headed to Old Bridge, Kidzdent, literally the best place for pediatric dentistry.  My husband and sister in law used to go to this place and they still have fond memories.  In hindsight I probably should have gotten a sitter for Micah.  The big kids both did amazing and they even got their teeth X-rays done with no problem, but after 45 minutes Micah was D.O.N.E. with being there.  It was also my fault for not bringing in snacks and a carriage but you know what? I can't do it all, all the time and sometimes these kids have to learn to just behave!

Super nice hygenist!

What I like about the visit was that both big kids were done at the same time(first part: cleaning, second part: X-rays).   What I didn't like was that the actual dentist who was going to do the checking of the teeth (the third part of the visit) was talking in the kitchen area of the office and hamming it up with the hygienists while I was carrying a crying baby and waiting for him to hurry up.  I think the hygienists saw my frustration and finally got his attention and then he finally saw both Julia and Mark.

This is when he spotted the tiny dark spot on one of Julia's back molars. (sniff sniff)  We had stopped eating fruit snacks for 6 months to avoid this!  He said it was super small but that he would have to fill it at our next appointment.  My poor baby!
The hygienest gave me a list of things to avoid with the kids:

Cavity Causing Foods/Snacks

1. Gummy Candy
2. Raisins
3. Orange Juice
4. Juice boxes
5. Craisins

Our Game Plan

* After we get settled in our house in 2 weeks and after Miss Amelia is born we will visit the dentist in Sept. for the filling and sealants.

* The kids will no longer be allowed to have candy or gum.  At.  All.  I already texted the grandmas and aunts about this.  I need everyone on the same team.

* John and I will not be buying any more juice boxes at Costco or Grocery Stores.  We will only give the kids water or milk.  And Orange Juice will only be at breakfast on Saturdays when we have pancakes and eggs.  I will not give them OJ every morning.

* No more raisins or Craisins in our oatmeal or salads... I think this makes me the most sad.

* No more sweets at the bank or cleaners.  Everyone loves these kids and is always doling out sugar.  I have to put a stop to this.

Lord willing at our next 6 month check up in March we will have much better news!

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave an encouraging comment...I'd love to hear from you!

Related Posts with Thumbnails