Shrimp, Leek, and Spinach Pasta
Real Simple April 2011
1. 12 ounces of gemelli, fussilli, or some other short twisty pasta (Gemelli worked for us)
2. 2 tbsp unsalted butter
3. 2 leeks (white and light green parts only) cut in half moons (rinse thoroughly—can be sandy)
4. 1lb peeled and deveined medium shrimp
***zest of one lemon or ¼ cup of lemon juice
5. ¾ cup heavy cream
6. 10 ounces baby spinach (about 12 cups) (I used only half the bag)
7. *optional—1/2 cup white cooking wine to deglaze the leeks—this made the sauce creamier
Directions: *Cook pasta according to box directions, drain and return to pot.
* In a large skillet heat the butter and add the leeks, salt, pepper, and cook for about 3-5 min til leeks have softened…add shrimp and lemon juice/zest and cook til shrimp is opaque—4/5 more minutes…add white wine
3. * Add the cream and a little more salt to the pasta in the pot and heat til it is slightly thickened…1 to 2 more minutes…add shrimp mixture and spinach and toss to combine.
I texted John pictures of the meal as I made it and he came home at 7:15!!! He tried it and said I was a culinary genius!!!! Wow, it was music to my ears…not to mention Mark and Julia saying “Mom, I love this dinner!!!!” Julia asked for more shrimp and noodles….Mark devoured his noodles and skipped the shrimp!!!
Enjoy! I love cooking recipes from Real Simple magazine because it does make me feel like a culinary genius. I’m able to buy the ingredients with confidence and whip up a quick and easy dinner that always turns out DELICIOUS!