27 March 2012

The Power to Choose

Deuteronomy 30: 19-20

19 This day I call the heavens and the earth as witnesses against you that I have set before you life and death, blessings and curses. Now choose life, so that you and your children may live 20 and that you may love the LORD your God, listen to his voice, and hold fast to him. For the LORD is your life, and he will give you many years in the land he swore to give to your fathers, Abraham, Isaac and Jacob. 



In this passage in Deuteronomy the Israelites were being encouraged to choose life and all it's blessings.
They were encouraged to *love the Lord, * listen to His voice, * and hold fast to Him...

So often we get too busy to love God, listen to His voice or hold fast to anything!  So often we are so full of the garbage the world offers that there is not even room for God.  So often life is just "too loud" to hear God. We get so wrapped up in ourselves and our own daily dramas we forget the much bigger picture.

Today I am reminding myself of the much bigger picture as Easter is quickly approaching us.  I've been reading the Easter story over and over to my kids these past two weeks and I've been thinking of how much Jesus sacrificed for us.  How much he gave to us.  How much He loves us.  And how much he just wants to clean our hearts and heal our brokenness.  My children are constantly reminding me of "how much God loves us, mommy!  and "Mom God wants to clean our hearts and live in our hearts!"  

Sometimes we get so familiar with the Bible and all of it's stories that we forget they are not just stories.  They are truth.  God wrote us the Bible to change us.  So that we can draw near to God, love God, listen to God and hold fast to Him.

Today I am reminded to focus on Jesus.  To be like a young child and soak in His amazing love.  To be amazed at how Big He is...Julia once said to me, "Mom, God knows everything because He is the TALLEST."  There is such great theology in that little sentence.  God is so big and so tall and He loves us in such a great and complex way we cannot even grasp it.

Today (and everyday) I want to not get so busy that I don't listen to His voice.  I don't want to be filled with worldly nonsense.  I want to be filled with Him!!!   

Today (and everyday) I want to choose life and all the blessings God has given me because the blessings are great and I can't even count them all.

We all have the power to choose the kind of life we will live.  Choose life.  Choose to celebrate the life He has given you and all of your blessings.  Focus on the blessings because life is too short to focus on the drama 



Photobucket

1 comment:

Please leave an encouraging comment...I'd love to hear from you!

Related Posts with Thumbnails