07 April 2011

What are you reading these days?

 I love to read.  I find that my hands are always grabbing a book and a cup of something hot during the wee hours of the morning, at nap time, or right before bed.  I have a library as big, if not bigger than my husband who also enjoys reading, especially being a seminary for 4 years, he has accumulated so many great books by Ravi Zacharias, Lee Strobel, Rick Warren, and C.S. Lewis to name a few.

Life before kids meant I had ample time to read after school, on weekends, and on vacation (one of the highlights of all of our oversee trips was that I could read a few novels just on the plane ride alone!)  Now, I have to really budget my reading time amongst cleaning, cooking, school time, and playing with my kids, and let's just say that John does not like me reading a book every single night before bed unless he has a book he has to read too!

I'm one of those readers who can read 3 books at a time and still actually know what is going on in each story line!  It's more interesting that way for me...I know, I'm weird!  Right now my mornings have been wonderful with reading the book of James in the New Testament, and a new devotional by Sarah Young called Jesus Calling...it is AMAZING...she uses Scripture to write a letter each day to you from the Lord, and it really feels like your quiet time is Jesus speaking right to you! I am loving it.  There is an entry for each day.

This week has been Spring Cleaning week, so I really haven't gotten much "fun reading" (my Bible time reading in the morning is much deeper and life changing and something I can't live without) in like my Amish novels by Shelley Shepard Gray or my Christian novels by Karen Kingsbury...but right now I'm in the middle of Shades of Blue by Karen Kingsbury and it is awesome as usual.  I love how she uses real life situations, and weaves them into the christian characters life, who choose to face life's challenges a godly way...and she always leaves you with tons to think about and scripture to ponder on!  Some of the older teen girls at my church enjoy her books and some of my friends my age so we get to discuss the books together and share the books we've finished reading.

On Tuesday, my friend Karima from Ladies Bible study was returning a book to our church library when she saw me.  She said it was a true story about a Rwanda survivor and that she read it in one day because she couldn't put it down.  It's called Left To Tell: Discovering God amidst the Rwandan Holocaust.  Well, I started it Tuesday after Spring Cleaning, and it's been hard to put it down.  It is so enthralling and so sad and knowing its a true story just breaks your heart because you know these people lost so much, not just their homes and livelihood but friends and family members.  The woman Immaculee is telling the story of her survival and I would highly recommend this book because it is always amazing to read the power of God and how he spared these 7 women who hid in a bathroom for over 90 days!  People kept coming to kill and find Immaculee but her prayers and faith truly protected her!  She believes she survived to tell her story and to share that God does exist and miracles do happen, and angels are real!

What books are you reading these days?

1 comment:

  1. I was able to order The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding that you recommended and have begun that one. I keep picking up Little House in the Ozarks by Laura Ingalls Wilder- a collection of her newspaper articles.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave an encouraging comment...I'd love to hear from you!

Related Posts with Thumbnails