With all of the gardening, and growing of veggies and herbs we are really excited to cook with our new food. Here is a recipe I found in Family Circle August 2011 page 189 that includes some of our veggies!
2 small zucchini, trimmed
1 package (8 oz) sliced mushrooms
1 sweet red pepper, seeded and diced
1 container (15 oz) part skim ricotta cheese
1 package 8 oz reduced fat shredded mozzarella or Italian blend cheese
1/4 cup parsley leaves, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1/4 tsp pepper
1 jar 26 oz roasted garlic pasta sauce
8 traditional lasagna noodles (uncooked), broken in half
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
Directions: Slow Cooker Meal
1. Coat slow cooker bowl with nonstick cooking spray.
2. Insert slicing disk in food processor and thinly slice zuchinni
(or by hand is fine) Transfer to a large bowl and add mushrooms and sweet pepper. In medium size bowl, combine ricotta, 1 cup of shredded cheese, parsley, garlic, and black pepper.
3. Spread 1/2 cup pasta sauce over bottom of slow cooker. Top with 2 noodles (4 halves) overlapping as needed. Blend 3/4 cup pasta sauce with 1/2 cup water and set aside.
4. Stir remaining sauce and 2 tbsp of Parmesan into zucchini mixture. Layer half of the zucchini mixture over the noodles. Top with 2 more noodles (4 halves). Spread with ricotta mixture and top with 2 more noddles. Finish layering with remaining zucchini mixture and remaining 2 noodles. Spread with reserved sauce-water mixture.
5. Cover and cook on High for 4 1/2 hours or on Low for 6 1/2 hours, adding remaining 1 cup shredded cheese and Parmesan for last 10 minutes to cook time. Let it stand for 10 min before serving!!!!!!!!
How great is it to be able to use the crock pot in the summer, then your whole house doesn't get hot!
Happy Gardening and Cooking this week:
Our weekly Menu is as follows
Monday: Veggie Lasagna (Family Circle)
Tuesday: Salmon and Thai red curry paste and salad (Real Simple Magazine)
Wednesday: Chicken Thighs and Potatoes/Carrots in Crock Pot
Thursday: Left over Chicken and Brown Rice
Friday: Pizza Night and Raw Veggies