After eating Debi's Pernil and Rice and Beans a few times, it was time to finally ask for the recipe and invite Debi over for a cooking lesson.
Debi and I pray every other week on Thursdays and so I invited her over to pray and teach me to cook her famous rice and beans that are delicious.
She held Marky for me and gave me all the instructions. I went food shopping a week before to make sure I would have the rice and all the spices and ingredients! Let's just say it was wonderful. John had seconds, and even packed his own lunch that night to be sure he had some at lunch. And he texted me a picture of him enjoying it! My parents came over on Friday for dinner and I made a new batch for them, which came out just as yummy!!! My mom was super impressed! And my dad's plate was empty! Thank you Debi!!!
Rice and Beans-About 4-6 servings
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp adobo all purpose seasoning with pepper
1 sazon packet
1 can Goya pigeon peas
1/2 of an 8 oz can of Goya Tomato Sauce
1 heaping of Goya Sofrito (tomato cooking base) (we used a real spoon)
1 tbsp (or if you love pitted olives 2 tbsp) Goya Alcaparrado-green pitted olives
1/2 tsp of salt
1 cup of rice
1 cup of water
Use any (I used Carolina because a bag of it was cheapest). After your rice dish is complete it will be a great rich orange color with tons of flavor!
1. Drain your and set aside.
2. In a large cooking pot add your olive oil over low heat, and add adobo and sazon packet and mix together.
3. Add and tomato cooking base (sofrito) Let simmer for a minute.
4. Add your pigeon peas and your pitted olives. Let simmer before adding rice and water and add about 1/2 tsp of salt.
5. Stir in all ingredients but DO NOT over stir. Rice is best without all the stirring. After 2-3 minutes and mixture is bubbly turn heat to low and cover for 20 minutes.
6. Check Rice it should be done, but if all the water is not absorbed give another minute or two.