25 January 2013

Pillow Talk--Questions to ask your Kids


I can't take credit for this great idea...I found it on Pinterest (Check out my Pinterest Board: Anything fun for the Kiddos). It is an amazing resource of ideas of fun things you can do at home with your kids.  I have such a good time pinning things on my board and going back to actually use them.  But this idea the minute I saw it (thanks to my library friend Nina) I wanted to do it immediately because our bed time ritual was becoming a bit rushed.  I think I was getting so tired at night and was just happy to have the peace and quiet that after teeth were brushed, potty-ing was done, and a prayer or bedtime story was read I was just done! 

But now I want to make bed time more of a one on one time (especially before Micah arrives) and really talk to my kids the way I used to.  We usually have our deep meaningful talks (as deep as you can get from a pre schooler) in the car, but lately Julia has been asking such great questions, that I decided I wanted to be the initiator.  So here it is!  I found 20 questions you  could start with and you could obviously do them around the dinner table, in the car, at the playground, or bedtime, but what is important is getting your child to think and to communicate with you.  My kids always start out with one word answers.  We did the first question yesterday during school time and Julia said she likes to dream about Ariel and Mark said he likes to dream about Lions.  But then it's asking them why? and really, tell me what you mean by that?  or tell me more.

Just showing your kids you are taking the time to talk when you are normally busy busy busy is so important.  It shows you care about what they think!  Last night in the car to Awana Julia was asking me more of her hard questions about life and God and I said to her, "Julia I always want you to ask me your questions, never ever feel like you can't come to me, ok?"  And she really liked that.  I told her the more questions you ask the wiser you become.  I also want to foster this good relationship now while she loves to talk and ask me questions so that in her pre teen and teen years she still feels comfortable. 

Here are the questions:
  1. What do you like to dream about?
  2. What is your best memory this school year?
  3. Who is your hero? Why?
  4. How would you describe your family?
  5. If you could change anything about yourself, what would it be?
  6. What are you most proud of yourself for?
  7. Who is the kindest person you know? Why?
  8. What do you like most about your best friend?
  9. What is one thing you would like to learn to do well?
  10. If you were an animal what one would you be and why?
  11. When is the last time someome hurt your feelings? How did you react?
  12. Do you know someone who is going though a hard time? How can you help them?
  13. What is the scariest thing that happened this year?
  14. If you could keep only one thing, out of everything you have, what would it be?
  15. Who do you think is really successful? Why?
  16. What’s the best thing about your teacher this year?
  17. When do you feel misunderstood by grown-ups?
  18. What three words best describe you?
  19. What’s something that makes you angry?
  20. What’s the best compliment you ever received?

1 comment:

  1. These are great questions! Pinning to save for later (my 2 year old wouldn't understand these ;) )

    Visting from Huckleberry Love (found you on I Heart Crafty Things, Blog Hop)

    Karla
    http://www.huckleberrylove.com/

    ReplyDelete

Please leave an encouraging comment...I'd love to hear from you!

Related Posts with Thumbnails