23 January 2013

Updating my Birth Plan


Kristi Anne McInerney’s Birth Plan

Parents: John & Kristi McInerney
Due Date: March 29, 2013
Doctors: Dr. Giovine
Hospital: Monmouth Medical
Labor Support: Rosemarie DiMare, Doula

I look forward to sharing my upcoming birth with you.  I have created the following birth wish to help you understand my preferences.  I understand that in certain circumstances these guidelines may not be followed, but it is my sincere hope that you will assist me in making this the experience I hope for.

In the event of a Normal Birth we would like:

Labor

  • To be free to walk around during labor—no IV please…I’ve never needed one!
  • To be able to move around and change position at will throughout labor
  • To be able to have fluids by mouth throughout the first stage of labor
  • The environment to be kept as quiet as possible and low lights
  • Vaginal exams to be kept to a minimum
  • To not have continuous fetal monitoring unless it is required by the baby’s condition
  • To not have the amniotic membrane ruptured artificially unless signs of fetal distress require internal monitoring
  • To be allowed to try to change position and other natural methods before pitocin is administered
  • To be allowed to use the birthing tub our doula will bring
  • To be able to ask for pain medication, if needed

Delivery

·         To avoid an episiotomy, I would like hot compresses, a slower delivery, and the ability to push with the urge in a relaxed position
  • To be allowed to choose the position in which I give birth
  • To have my baby placed on my stomach/chest immediately after delivery

Immediately After Delivery

  • I would prefer that the umbilical cord stop pulsating before it is cut
  • To wait 2 hours for eye treatment
  • If our baby must be taken from me, John will accompany the baby at all times
  • To keep the baby near me and if possible to have the evaluation of the baby be done with the baby on me, and both of us covered with a blanket
  • I plan to breastfeed my baby and would like to begin nursing very shortly after birth
  • I do not wish my baby to have any pacifiers or bottles given (including glucose water or plain water)

Postpartum

  • To have my baby ‘room in’ with me at all times
  • To have a private room if available
  • If the baby is a boy we would like the baby circumcised prior to leaving the hospital

Other

  • To have my support people, Rosemarie and John present during the labor and delivery
  • I prefer that no guests, students, interns, residents, or non-essential personnel be present during my labor or the birth (unless given permission by myself or husband)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave an encouraging comment...I'd love to hear from you!

Related Posts with Thumbnails