02 January 2014

Recipe Swap: Meet Shayne!

Meet Shayne

Shayne is one of my new friends at church who posts the most amazing dishes on Instagram!

I begged her to let me use one of her favorite recipes so that all of you could see how awesome she is!

Lentils with Crispy Sausages

Here is our family's current obsession -- it was inspired by the recipe for Lentils with Crispy Sausages from dinneralovestory.com and it's perfect for winter. Plus, it only takes about 25 minutes to throw together, and both my one-and-a-half year old and my husband love it as much as I do.

Funny part is, I thought I didn't like lentils, then someone gave me a bag and I made this, and now I can't get enough!

Lentils and Sausage w/ Garlic Bread


11/4 Cup brown lentils
21/2 Cups water or any type of stock/broth
11/2 Tsps. mustard (whatever variety you have on hand)
1/4 Cup vinegar (I like balsamic or red wine)
1/3 Cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil, plus 1 Tbsp.
Salt and Pepper
1/2 Pound of Sausage, removed from casing
1/2 of a medium onion, chopped
2 cloves of garlic, minced
2-3 large ribs of celery, finely chopped
1 Tbsp fresh thyme, parsley or both, finely chopped

1 Small loaf of crusty bread (or rolls or sliced bread, whatever you have)
3 Tbsps. butter, softened
1 clove of garlic, minced
Salt and Pepper


Add lentils and water or stock to a medium saucepan with about a 1/2 teaspoon of salt, bring to a boil. Lower and simmer until lentils are tender but still hold their shape. Drain.

Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large saute pan and add sausage. Use a spatula to break it up, then add onion, garlic and celery. Cook until sausage is browned and vegetables are softened.

While the sausage and veggies are cooking, add vinegar, the rest of the olive oil, herbs and salt and pepper to taste to a small bowl and whisk together to make a vinaigrette. 

Combine lentils with sausage/veggie mixture and vinaigrette and set aside.

Mix softened butter with minced garlic clove and salt and pepper to taste, smear on bread and toast in the broiler until golden brown. Serve alongside lentils and sausage.

Can't wait to try this dish Shayne!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you!

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave an encouraging comment...I'd love to hear from you!

Related Posts with Thumbnails