06 May 2010

National Day of Prayer--May 6th



I can't help but think back to my days at Timothy Christian School, when we would pray around the flag pole on the National Day of Prayer. I loved being outside with my students, and being so close to the main road. I loved that we never had to be afraid to gather around to pray. I could say my requests out loud in freedom and so could each of my students. The year this picture was taken I had 25 wonderful students and what a blessing it was to stand before our community and our peers and pray to our God.

Today I am taking out special moments throughout the day to pray with my kids about our President, our government, and other countries around the world that may not have the freedoms we do here in the US. Even though times our changing and mentioning Jesus is not always politically correct. I am proud to be an American and I love my country. I believe God has blessed our country for many years and I pray He will continue to look favorably upon His people.

When John and I went to China in 2005 for a missions trip, it was so evident that speaking about Jesus was not allowed. You could feel the oppression in the air. There was always this tension you could really sense it. I never felt completely safe or at peace there. And that is because I couldn't just go in the middle of a street or a store and pray in freedom to God.

Today no matter how busy you are, no matter how you feel, make prayer a priority. Pray for our country, pray for our leaders, pray for the laws that are being passed, pray for our troops, pray for Christians all around the world who are being persecuted for their beliefs, pray for your neighbors, pray for the unsaved, pray for the people of Haiti. God bless your time in prayer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave an encouraging comment...I'd love to hear from you!

Related Posts with Thumbnails