12 July 2011

Just So Thankful--Inspired by a Kids Book

We are involved in a Summer Reading Program at the Matawan/Aberdeen Library.  We go twice a week to pick out new books, return the old ones, and we have to keep track of how many new books we read per day (I LOVE it) and each time we read new books we have to get them signed and logged in at the library and we get raffles to win more books...it's awesome.

So, the kids and I have been reading up a storm over here, during Circle Time, before nap time, and before bed time, and sometimes right when Julia wakes up we read together as she is super calm and still waking herself up.

Tonight we read Just So Thankful by Mercer Mayer.  I love this author because of his (I'm assuming Mercer is a guy) sense of humor, really fun illustrations, and the real family life that each story portrays.  This particular story was about little critter being envious of this new little boy who just moved into his neighborhood.  Holden Harrison III has a Super Streak scooter, his own cell phone, a huge house, and his own personal maid!  Little critter is very jealous, but wise mother suggests he invite Holden over to his house.  Little critter is sure H.H. will be SO bored at his meager house with no pool, no maid, and not as many toys.  Little critter finds out that H.H. loved playing with their dog (he doesn't have one) loved having a tea party with his sister and playing chess (he's the only child), he loved helping set the table (he never gets to at his house), He even loved Grandma and Grandpa visiting (he never gets to see his grandparents because they live too far away.)

When it was time for Holden to go the whole Critter family walked him outside, Holden turns and says, "You're so lucky, Little Critter."  At first Little Critter has no idea what he means, but then he looked around and all of the sudden he realizes, he is so lucky, not because of a limo, or a cell phone, not because of a big house or a pool, not because of a maid or a new Super Streak scooter, he's lucky because he had the best family in the world.  He yells "Thank you Everybody!", to his family and gives them all hugs!  Yup, I got teary at the end.  We had a great prayer time after reading that story.  We just sat and thanked God for all the people in our family and how special they make us feel, and how loved we are by aunts, grandmas, grandpas, etc.


What a great message to read to kids.  What a great message for me as an adult to read.  I'm not lucky because of my material possessions.  No matter how quick, new, or shiny they are.  I'm so lucky because I have a family that loves me.  I belong to them, and they belong to me.  And there's that wonderful quote, "We might not have it all together, but together we have it all."  It's true.

I'm "Just so Thankful" for John, Julia and Mark.  I pray that I can be that wise mother who teaches those valuable lessons to my kids about what is truly important.

1 Thessalonians 5: 18  In everything give thanks, for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.

I'm Just So Thankful  for my extended family, my parents, my in-laws and my three sisters Paletza, Sara, and Laurie.

Ephesians 5: 20 Giving thanks always for all things to God the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ.

I'm Just So Thankful  for my friends, the women who support me, encourage me, and constantly lift me up and push me to do great things for Christ.  It's amazing how a little encouragement can go such a long way.

Psalm 107: 1 Oh, Give thanks to the Lord, for He is good! For His mercy endures forever.

I'm Just So Thankful for God pursuing a relationship with me, loving me, forgiving me, and continuing a good work in me.  He has good plans for my life.  He has a purpose and a path for me, and He promises to direct me and guide me and give me wisdom.  I'm really thankful.


What are you thankful for today?

4 comments:

  1. Kristi, I have missed you! I've been gone on vacation for the past couple of weeks, hence the silence! Hope you are doing well and enjoying a beautiful Summer. What a great lesson to be able to share with your kids, being thankful is one of the keys to having true joy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am thankful for you! xoxoxo C

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing Kristi! Yup, so good to be reminded to be thankful for and see all that we have. Our True Treasures!! Love and miss you! - Christianne

    ReplyDelete
  4. Newest follower fromt the Blog Hop. Such a great message....beautiful family!

    I'm a new blogger and would love for you to check out my blog as well ;)

    http://wherenothinggoodcomeseasy.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Please leave an encouraging comment...I'd love to hear from you!

Related Posts with Thumbnails