27 June 2012

Peace

"Peace is the result of resting in God.  Peace comes from resting in a relationship that holds us in the midst of life's storms and in the momentary calm of their aftermath."  


I'm currently reading a book called, Naked Fruit: Getting Honest about the Fruit of the Spirit. by Elisa Morgan.

I love this quote Elisa says about peace and instantly I thought of my water birth with Marky.  Mark was born 3 years ago in May.  And I'll never forget how at peace I was about the whole birth and it had nothing to do with me and everything to do with God.  I knew God was going to be with us during the whole labor process and I knew that everything was going to be okay.  I can't explain how I knew, but I just rested in God.

When you think of peace you may think of a blank to do list, a quiet nap time, a serene beach scene.  But peace doesn't mean the outward circumstances are still or quiet.  Trust me, during my labor, there was not peace and quiet.  I felt contractions.  There was about 8 hours of labor to go through.  We arrived at the hospital around 3pm and Mark wasn't born til 10:03pm. 

There was a lot of walking, contractions, moving, sweat, heavy breathing, and hard work to do.  It wasn't about the circumstances.  But the peace came from my inner soul because I knew that God would bring this baby into the world.  I trusted Him.

Remember the scene of Jesus in the boat with his disciples during the raging storm.  Can you picture the noise, the wind, the spray of the ocean, can you see the fear on their faces?  They thought this storm would kill them all.  And what was Jesus doing?  Resting!  He was asleep at the bottom of the boat!  How could he sleep during a storm, a time like this?  The disciples thought he was nuts!  But Jesus calmed that storm in an instant.  After all he is God and He made the wind and the sea.  Just his voice could calm it.  Why was Jesus calm during the storm?  He was fully God and yet fully man.  He was calm because he knew how to rest in the palm of God's loving hand.

Many times I don't have peace because I am not resting in God.  I am trying to fix, solve, and manage without him.

John 14: 27 says, "Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you.  I do not give to you as the world gives.  Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid."

Notice Jesus doesn't promise us rose gardens and carefree days.  BUT he does promise us peace.  We can rest in Him during the trials, sickness, scary moments, storms and tragedies of life because we know we can trust His loving plan for us.

Peace.


I love that verse in Psalms that says, "Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I will fear no evil for thou art with me."  I don't have to fear.  I can have peace.  He is with me.  And I am walking through the valley.  I'm not staying there.

What happens after the noise, the hard work, the heavy breathing of the labor?  The birth of new life.  And then comes even more peace.  Thank you Jesus.

"Busyness kills our hearts.  Rest restores our souls."
God is teaching me that I need Him and His peace daily.  I don't need time fillers and busyness.  I need Him.  I need His peace.  Which means I need to take time to be in a right relationship with Him spending time with Him and getting to know about this peace He offers.

"You are not alone.  God is with you.  Rest in your relationship with him...remember that peace is the result of resting in a relationship with a real God who is really there."






5 comments:

  1. I didn't know you had a water birth. So beautiful. Amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Psalm 23...it was my dads favorite. Ty kristi for sharing this...i needed it this morning...liz e.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow Kristi today is the first time I've ever been to your blog and let me say that our spirits are definitely on one accord today. love you! -Cleo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you guys! I love your comments it keeps me writing!!!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave an encouraging comment...I'd love to hear from you!

Related Posts with Thumbnails