31 October 2013

The Problem with Worrying

Julia my almost 6 year old, and my husband John

Do Not Worry

"Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about it's own things.  Sufficient for the day is its own trouble." --Matthew 6: 34
We are studying the book of Matthew at Bible Study Fellowship this year.  Last year we went through the entire book of Genesis.  I am so excited to study Matthew this year because I feel like I've read the whole book before but I've never studied it verse by verse the way we do at BSF, and so far the first 6 chapters have been so convicting!  

Chapter 5 and 6 talk all about how man looks on the outward appearance, and God looks at the heart.
This past week was focusing on where our treasure is.  What do you hold as your most valuable treasure?  Is it your family, your degree, your career, your home, your bank account?  Verse 19-21 says...

"Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal.  But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal.  For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also."
I wholeheartedly want to say that my treasure is in God and God alone, but to be completely honest, and God knows my heart anyway, I really feel like since I've become a mom I've really struggled with balancing where my treasure is.  I don't want to be that mom that only invests in her kids and forgets about her relationship with her spouse, or God, or others.  But it's such a balancing act.


I really am going to start praying that God will always help me to put Him first, and family second, etc.  The kids are always asking me, "Mom who do you love the best?"  Especially my Mark (middle children are big on fairness) and I always say, "Mark, you know I love God the most and then all of you equally!"  I think it shocks them sometimes to hear that God is above them, especially since they can't see God.  They must wonder, why does mommy love HIM so much?

A woman in our group shared that a fifth grader in her child's classroom shared that this was his priorities in life 1. God first 2. Then his family, 3. Then his friends 4 Soccer...I love it!  I think that fifth grader understands the priorities of life better than me!  And I'm in my 30s!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The end of chapter 6 in Matthew talks all about worrying...and as a mom of three, and as a woman, I think I worry way too much.  Are my kids going to be safe?  Are they healthy?  Will John be ok in NYC?  Will God continue to provide so I can stay home with our kids?  Will John pass his big CFP exam in 2 weeks?  So many things plague our minds.  And God says, "Do NOT worry!"  If He can take care of the birds, and provide for their food, give them shelter, then why do I worry if He will take care of me?  The big question is...Do I trust Him?  And how does worrying help anyway?  It doesn't!

"Which of you by worrying can add one cubit to his stature?  So why do you worry about clothing?  Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow:they neither toil or spin and yet I say to you that even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these."
So today, I am going to trust Him.  He will provide.  He will protect.  He will give us just what we need for today.  I am not even going to think about tomorrow until I open my brown eyes Thursday morning.  God will meet me just like he does each day and provide the grace I need to get through the day.


Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. Loved your post! Balancing is so hard! That fifth grader had it right!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave an encouraging comment...I'd love to hear from you!

Related Posts with Thumbnails