02 October 2013

Did I really just say that?

Wednesday Book Club

The reason why I love this book is that the author Lysa, shares so many honest stories about motherhood at her home.  She starts out this chapter by sharing a story about how she lost it with her kids one day (and we have ALL been there) because she was trying to do everything, and yet everything she did was in her own strength.  She was running on empty, and so after the umpteenth whiny voice, and dirty spill, and complaints from her children she let them have it with her words.

She went on to tell them to go to bed and let the Holy Spirit tuck you in tonight because I am DONE!

The minute the words came out of her mouth she knew she had gone too far.

"Did I just tell my kids that the Holy Spirit would be tucking them into bed? What kind of mother does that?  A tired, exhausted, empty one, I answered myself.
Have you ever ran on empty?
Tried to do all the mommy tasks, but without any regard to how much you NEED Him?

Oh this is so what I needed to re-read today.

I've been running on empty physically because Micah has been waking up twice each night to nurse, even though we have decided he does not need nighttime feedings.  Have you seen the size of my baby's thighs? Trust me he has enough chubb on him to last him for weeks.  We have been sleep training him for weeks now but he is really struggling to sleep through the night.  He usually wakes up around 12 or 1 and again at 3 or 4am.

So not only am I physically tired but then I try to do it all the next morning before doing my quiet time in the Bible with the Lord.  And then I am just a hot cranky mess.

Lysa reminds us that we need to be filled with God.  He is our portion.  When we are full we can pour out blessings on those around us.  When we run on empty we have less to give to others.

Lamentations 3: 22-24 says "Because of the Lord's great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail.  They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness.  I say to myself, "The Lord is my portion; therefore I will wait for him" 
 Another great verse is:

Psalm 73:26 "My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.

So to all you wonderful moms out there.  You are not alone.  This tired mommy knows just what it is like to have 3 needy kids and a very tired body trying to serve them.  God is constantly reminding me to look to Him to be my portion through out the day.

I am so thankful for Bible Study Fellowship on Wednesdays.  I get to spend all morning reading the word and talking about the word, and singing hymns, and praying with my fellow sisters while my children attend their own bible classes.  Also, the homework they give us needs to be spread out throughout the week so it has helped me to be disciplined in being in the word.

"We will all have days when our attitude is not what is should be.  We all fall short."
Our emotions may run wild but we can rest assured that God is always there to be our portion and our strength.  We are not alone.

Will you rely on God's strength, power, control, and provision today?

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave an encouraging comment...I'd love to hear from you!

Related Posts with Thumbnails