19 November 2013

Every Mom Has A Story: Katie Gale

I had this idea to interview a few moms and post their answers to my blog.  I reached out to about a dozen women, and almost every single one accepted!  I was thrilled.  At first I was just going to have a mommy week in December featuring some of my nearest and dearest friends and their Mom Story.  But since I have so many willing participants I am going to highlight each Mom on Tuesdays for the next couple of weeks.

Why?  Because Moms truly are great.  Let's be honest.  And, every single Mom has a story.  God has blessed me in the last 6 years to be able to meet some of the most amazing Moms.  I've met some at my MOPS group, some at church, co-workers, some are from my own family.  These Moms, have challenged me, inspired me, and left an imprint on my life and so, I'm really excited to share these Moms with you.

As you read each Mom's answers to the questions I gave them you have an opportunity to gain insight and wisdom from another woman who may have more children than you, or less.  She may be older than you, or younger.  She won't have your story.  Each of us has our own unique story.  And we are all on this journey we call life together.  And we can all learn from each other.

This first woman is super special to me.  I met her two years ago, and the day she arrived at my MOPS group we became instant friends.  I kid you not, we just clicked.  Katie has a sweet southern accent, she is gorgeous, and super likable and friendly.  My daughter Julia calls her, Miss Honey.  I found myself sharing my life story with Katie, and vice versa.  Katie can tell an awesome story.  She is so smart (she graduated from Norte Dame) and she is the funniest person I've ever met!  We both were desperately wanting to have another baby.  And last year God heard our prayers.  I got pregnant with Micah, and Katie got pregnant with TWINS!!!! Olivia and Thomas are 4 months old now...but let me let Katie share her story....

When you first found out you were going to be a mom what was your reaction?
1. When I first found out I was going to be a mommy was the day I said yes to Steve when he proposed. It is unconventional, but that is my life! Steve was married before and was raising his two young boys alone. When I knew I would marry him and wanted to be his partner, I also knew my life would change more quickly than I had originally planned. I became a mommy the day we married.

When you brought home your newborn did you feel ready or overwhelmed? Explain...
2. When I brought Ellie home (my first baby), I felt excited. Nick and Jacob were starting school in a few days, so my memory is that of folders and labeling and backpacks and pencils. I didn't feel overwhelmed with the new baby until about a week or two later. Ellie was an "easy baby," so she just fit into our lives and it was relatively seamless (as soon as I figured out that she liked to sleep in the swing all night long!).

How do you juggle working inside of the home and family time?
3. I am a homemaker full time, so my work is inside the home. I don't feel like I juggle this "job" with family time because it is all one vocation. It's all one joy, one blessing, one gift and one big mess everyday!

What tradition does your family have that you are not willing to give up?  Why is it so special?
4. Tradition that we have I'm most proud of? I don't know. . . maybe our Thanksgiving tree we do every year (was a MOPS idea!). The tree is made of construction paper leaves and a paper sack trunk. We add leaves each evening after supper--we each write what we're thankful for that day, and the tree becomes fuller and more colorful as we approach Thanksgiving. Looking at the leaves I've saved over the years is really fun! Lots of great things to be grateful for!

As a stay at home mom what do you love the most about your job?  What is the most difficult?
5. Being a stay at home mom is very challenging for me. It was not how I was built. It is not what I dreamed about being or "always wanted to do." But we can afford for me to be home, and I think it is the "right" thing to do for my family and my children. Therefore, I do it. I don't want someone else raising my children, but at the same time, I miss very dearly my days when I worked, had adult, stimulating conversations and wore makeup. :)

Who inspires you to be a good mom?
6. My sister inspires me to be a good mom. My friends here in Tyler who live their vocation so beautifully and simply and quietly--they inspire me to be better. My husband inspires me and the Holy Mother of God, the perfect Mother and our example of perfect earthly love and devotion--she inspires me to be a better everything!

What kind of mom do you want to be remembered as?
7. Big question. I want to be remembered as an intentional mother. One who did things and said things with meaning and purpose. I want to be remembered as generous, kind, compassionate, patient and just. Shoot--that's a tall order! I need to get working on that. 

What piece of advice would you give to a new mom out there?
8. Give yourself a lot of grace. Pray without ceasing. This is not an easy vocation, but that's why God called women to do it!

Fulton Sheen once warned his future readers about reading his lectures and thoughts. . . "There will come a moment in your life [when you'll realize I made many mistakes in my writing.] You will be somewhat in the position God must have been in when He made Adam. He looked at Adam and then said, "I could do better than that!" And then he made Eve. --Katie Gale



Katie (33 years old)  is married to Steve and they now have 5 beautiful children!

Nick-15
Jacob-12
Ellie-3
Olivia-4 months
Tommy-4 months

Check out Katie's blog at http://thedogwoodtrail.blogspot.com



Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave an encouraging comment...I'd love to hear from you!

Related Posts with Thumbnails