13 March 2014

Awesome Mom Jobs: My doula Roe

Roe always makes me laugh!

Best Job Ever

My doula Rosemarie has the best job in the world.  She is a stay at home mom AND a doula!

She has helped me and John bring three healthy children into this world.  And in Aug/Sept we will be using her wonderful services again!  

She is awesome at what she does.  She truly supports the mom throughout the labor and delivery and all through out the pregnancy you can talk to Roe and ask for advice.  She is wonderful.  We don't know what we would do without her!

Sitting on a yoga ball during a contraction.


Here is a little more info about what a doula is!

1. What is a doula? A doula is a woman  experienced in childbirth who provides emotional, informational, and physical support to a birthing mother and her partner before, during, and following birth. 

My water birth with Mark.


2. What interested you in being one? I had a doula present during the birth of our son Nicholas 18 years ago due to a not so pleasant birth experience with our first child three years prior. The experience was so amazing. I researched it for many months, found a training in a local hospital and spoke with my husband John about his feelings. He was super supportive but reminded me that my first and most important job was raising our sons. If I could find a way to raise our sons without it getting in the way he would support me 100% of the way. At first I only did a few births a year, but as my husbands job became more flexible with him working from home when not traveling and my kids getting older it became easier and easier. I also had the help of my mom who would help if John was out of town when I had a client due. 



3. How many babies have you delivered? Here I am 17 years in and I have assisted 280 babies into our beautiful world including your three and looking forward to our fourth in the coming months. 

Eating ice chips and relaxing in the birth tub.


4. Do you do water births? Yes, I did my first water birth about 8 years ago and have been doing them ever since.  I currently have a few moms desiring a water birth. Most all of my moms use water to help them relax during labor whether it be using submersion or shower. Moms experience great relief throughout their body and they are better able to manage the contractions. 

5. What is the best part of being a doula? I have to say the best part of being a doula is witnessing life come into the world. For me, childbirth is a magical and mysterious experience. Magical in a sense that one minute you're in labor and the next there is this beautiful baby God has blessed you with. Mysterious in a sense you don't know the path that labor is going to take. Yes it always ends with a baby in mamas,  but I am there to suggest different positions and varied coping techniques guiding the birthing couple towards holding their baby in their arms and experiencing the most amazing and memorable birth ever.  

We were so excited to have a boy! (Mark)


6. How has being a doula allowed you to be a stay at home mom and yet earn a great income? I average one to two births a month so basically I am home when I am not assisting at a birth. I am also a Lamaze certified child birth educator and teach small group classes in my home which also enabling me to be around. It was great when the boys were small but now that they are young men, they don't need mama so much.  God has given me the ability to use my gift of servanthood  to serve mothers and babies. I feel totally blessed by my profession.



Thank you Roe for helping us bring 3 healthy babies into this world!  God knew we needed you!
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave an encouraging comment...I'd love to hear from you!

Related Posts with Thumbnails