26 March 2014

I'm Not A Freak Out Woman

Book Club Wednesday

The book we started two weeks ago was Unglued by Lysa Terkeurst.  If you missed my review on chapter 1 click here.

Imperfect Progress Chapter 1

What I really liked about this chapter is that no matter how we respond during a "freak out" moment, there is hope of change.  You don't always have to yell, or scream, or cry, or blow up, you can actually teach your mind the right way to respond, and with practice really start to see changes in your life.  No matter how small they may be.

I love the verse in Romans 12:2 it says, "Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind.  Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is--his good, pleasing and perfect will."  
I believe in the Bible as God's truth and it is the foundation of my faith and my life.  With that said, that doesn't mean I always respond to stressful situations which are out of my control the way that would be pleasing to God.  Seriously, I need major help.  Don't we all?  That's the beauty of a relationship with God though, I am on a journey with Him.  He knows my faults, He knows my heart, He is renewing and transforming me to be the Kristi He wants me to be.  And when I fail, I can trust Him to be there to help me back up.

Lysa says, "Renewing our minds with new thoughts is crucial.  New thoughts come from new perspectives."

And who do you think gives us those new perspectives?  Have you ever looked at something with such a narrow view you couldn't see past the all the hard parts and rough edges?  Well, when you look at things from a new perspective (with God's help...a heavenly perspective) then you can see the beauty in the mess and chaos.

Lysa also says, "I can face things that are of my control and not act out of control."

For me that is really key because when things get out of control I really want to run, scream, or throw a 30 year old tantrum.  But that's the human way, isn't it?  With God's help I can act like the adult who may feel out of control, but still be a lady and not a CRAZY WOMAN.

So I am claiming the Romans 12:2 verse and praying that God helps me to renew my mind and changes my perspective so I can become the non freak out woman.  Even when Mark spills an entire cup of orange juice on the dining room table, even when Micah has a rough night of sleep because he's teething, even when John comes home from work and can't help out because he has work to do, or is sick, I can ask God in those moments to act in control even when I feel out of control.  And truly, there is freedom in that.  But it does take work on our parts!



Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave an encouraging comment...I'd love to hear from you!

Related Posts with Thumbnails