|John and I at Cousin Michael's Graduation Party June 19th|
In the book, Because of Winn-Dixie, a children's novel by Kate DiCamillo, a favorite of my 3rd and 4th grade students, there is a part where Opal, the 10 year old main character asks her Dad to tell her 10 things about her Mom.
Julia and Mark and I have been watching the movie and it gave me the idea to write down 10 things about myself that you, my readers, may not already know about me...
1. I'm up every morning by 5 am. Yes, I am a morning person, but that is the time Mark wakes up. He hangs out in bed with us for a few minutes and then he and I head down to make breakfast.
2. Nap time is sacred to me. I make sure I am home between the hours of 1-3pm. I believe that children should have structure throughout their day, and nap time should be something they can rely on and look forward to. There's nothing like sleeping in your own bed (crib).
3. I love carbs. I love bagels!!! I love zepoles. I love cinnamon toast, crossiants, cereals, pizza, pasta, and buttered rolls!
4. When John and I were trying to get pregnant (it took about 9 months) I bought 2 magnets. One had Julia's name on it and one had Mark's name on it. It also listed what their names meant. Julia means youthful and Mark means strong warrior (Daddy loves that). I kept these two magnets on the dresser near my bed as a reminder that God would bless us with a baby in His timing and that one day I would have a Julia or a Mark and I needed to keep trusting God and praying....and, well, God answered that prayer!
5. I majored in Elementary Education and Theater/Dance at Rowan University. I was very involved in my college with the NAACP, the Black Cultural League, The Gospel Choir, The Christian Fellowship Club, I was a Resident's Assistant my senior year and I was involved in over 5 plays that our campus put on, my senior year I had the lead in the play Hedda Gabbler, I was Thea. In the play the Crucible, I was Tituba. My Freshman and Sophomore year I had a job on campus that I loved in the Professional Development Office.
6. One of the things I am most proud of, right after marrying a godly husband and having two amazing children is being able to finish my Master's Degree at Baptist Bible College in Clarks Summit, PA in 3 summers. I took 5 classes each summer and lived on campus for the months of June/July. I graduated Summa Cume Laud in May 2005. I was asked to speak at our farewell banquet by Dr. Hartzler, and it was during this time that I rededicated my life to Christ. I wanted to be a changed life who was ready to change lives as a teacher. That same year I graduated I received the Elementary Teacher of the Year award among my peers. It was really special!
7. I have very ticklish feet and when I get a pedicure the ladies in the salon all laugh at me.
8. My favorite facial features are my nose and my freckles.
9. I'm always complimented on my nails. My mom calls my hands piano fingers. I think it's because I have long nail beds and strong nails...vitamins help.
10. Almost every night around 9:00 or 9:30 depending on when John gets home. John and I have tea and watch an episode of Battle-star Gallactica. We just finished season 4. This has become the only TV I watch besides the occasional learning video or Elmo, or Barney, or Charlotte's Web, or Shiloh, or Because of Winn-Dixie.