04 August 2010

Do you make the right choices? The Power of a Praying Wife: Week 11

Proverbs 1: 5  A wise man will hear and increase learning, and a man of understanding will attain wise counsel.

Chapter 11: His Choices

I don't know about you, but John and I are always fearful of making the wrong choice.  I think it especially has to do with now that we have Julia and Mark to take into consideration for our plans.  We don't want to mess-up an opportunity or risk their safety, or be unwise parents.  I think our choices in life really stem from what our belief system is and our foundation.  I'm so thankful to have a husband who PRAYS and seeks godly counsel, because life has SO MANY choices to make: what job should I have?, where should I live? Who should I marry?  When should I have kids?  How many kids should I have?  How do I raise my kids?  Where should we go to church?  How should we spend our money?  How should we spend our time?  The list goes on and on...

Have you ever had a really important decision to make and you had no idea what to do?  You may have even prayed and prayed and still you feel like you are left alone to "figure it out"?  Lately, we have felt like that with job career choices and our house move?  Slowly but surely God is beginning to pave the way for us, but I have to admit it is scary not being in control and not knowing what the next step is, or at least not seeing it clearly.

I remember a chapter in The Confident Woman, by Joyce Meyer that said "Sometimes, you have to "do it afraid,"http://keepingupwithkristi.blogspot.com/2010/03/book-club-thursday-confident-woman-chp_18.html  there may be a choice we have to make in life that we don't have all the answers to, but we really, ultimately just have to move forward, sometimes afraid, and know that God is right there besides us, guiding us, and leading us.  We may not always feel it, but He has promised to be there.

I love Proverbs 3:7-8 which says, "Do not be wise in your own eyes; fear the Lord and depart from evil, it will be health to your flesh and strength to your bones."  I don't want to make my own decisions and choices.  I want them to be of the Lord.  I want my choices to be wise!  I want my choices to yield good fruit and I want them to bless my family and my friends, and the people around me.  I want all the glory to go to God.

When we pray for the choices that we make, we should also pray for our husbands (if God has given us one) because their responsibility is even greater.  They are to make wise choices for the whole family.  As head of the home they have to make major decisions.  And husbands that seek God's counsel are wise husbands.  Men who seek only to honor themselves are foolish.  A wise man seeks to honor the Lord.

Remember, every "man" or person thinks they are doing the right thing: Proverbs 21: 2 says, "Every way of a man is right in his own eyes."   But God's word is clear when it teaches that only true wisdom and discernment comes from Him.

Today and this week especially I am praying that you and I, and John will seek God's wise counsel and seek God for each decision that comes our way...Pray with me!

* Pray for wisdom in every decision he makes.
* May he reverence You, Lord, and seek to know Your truth.
* Discernment to make decisions based on revelations from You.
* Make godly choices and avoid any foolish choices.
* Take foolishness out of his heart and enable him to quickly recognize error.

This week's Love Dare:

Be intentional today about making a time to pray and read your Bible.  Try reading out of Proverbs each day (there are 31 chapters) or reading a chapter in one of the four gospels (Matthew, Mark, Luke, or John)  Immerse yourself in the love and promises that God has for you.  This will add to your growth as you walk with Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave an encouraging comment...I'd love to hear from you!

Related Posts with Thumbnails